Wednesday, July 18, 2012

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare


Book:  City of Lost Souls
Author:  Cassandra Clare
Publisher:  Simon and Schuster
Date:  2012
Source:  Purchased
My rating:  5 big ol’ moons!!!

The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace freed from captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing, so is the boy she hates: her brother Sebastian, who is determined to bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.

The Clave's magic cannot locate either boy, but Jace can't stay away from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith's magic has wrought - Jace and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other.

Only a few people believe that Jace can still be saved. Together, Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle bargain with the sinister Seelie Queen, contemplate deals with demons, and turn at last to the merciless, weapon-making Iron Sisters, who might be able to forge a weapon that can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. If the Iron Sisters can't help, their only hope is to challenge Heaven and Hell - a risk that could claim their lives.

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary is playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing not just her own life, but Jace's soul. She's willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

MY REVIEW 

Initial reaction
Oh Cassandra Clare!  You are the owner of my soul and Jace owns my heart and I will worship at the altar of the Shadowhunters forever.  Amen.

Title and cover
The title is perfect.  I’m not crazy about these covers because they look a bit like bad romance novels, but it’s cool to see Jace’s face.  I do like the city in the background and the colors.  But who cares?  Nothing can take away from the greatness of these novels.

Plot, Characters, etc.
I’m going to be honest here.  After the way City of Fallen Angels ended, I was so afraid of heart fail, that I put off reading this book.  I just couldn’t bear to think of more anguish.  Because Cassandra Clare, you are the master of anguish!  Dear Lord, woman!  You killed me with all the Jace and Clary drama in the first 3 books and just when I thought things were going to settle down and get sort of boring with regular dates and Jace trying to make it to third base, you go and throw some more angst at me!  Are you trying to kill all of your fans?

But I should have known that no matter how much anguish my poor heart went through, the novel would be so worth it in the end.  And boy, is it worth it!  No one can write these urban fantasy YA stories like Cassandra Clare.  I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

The characters are still wonderful and it’s kind of comforting to just have the same old cast and crew back.  Of course, there’s always action and drama afoot to keep it all interesting.  This one was no different.  These books are such a wonderful mix of action, magic and romance.  I am still reeling from the perfection of this book.  And anxiously awaiting the next installment.

Songs

Never Shout Never- I Love You More Than You Will Ever Know


So, these days, I am forced to listen to what my 14 year old wants to listen to in the car.  She was playing this song yesterday and I thought “Wow, this sounds like Jace and Clary!”  So here it is.

Snow Patrol –Signal Fire


This song seems especially appropriate since there are so many immortals who fall in love in this series.


The Pogues--Love You Til the End


The final score
My rating for this book is 5 moons.  This series is incredible.  The whole idea of Shadowhunters is just awesomeness of epic proportions and the story is riveting.  If you haven’t read this series, what on earth are you waiting for?  Jace is not going to send anyone an engraved invitation, but he’ll definitely smirk at you and tell you that he knew you’d like reading about him.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! Thats Exactly how I felt about this book and the Whole Dang series!

    ReplyDelete