Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Mephisto Kiss by Trinity Faegen



Book:  The Mephisto Kiss (The Mephisto Covenant #2)
Author:  Trinity Faegen
Publisher:  Egmont
Date:  September 25, 2012
Source:  Publisher via Netgalley
My grade:  A+

The eyes never lie. No one’s eyes are darker than Eryx. Not even the Devil’s.

When Jax and Sasha first see Jordan Ellis, they know she is no ordinary teenager. She’s the daughter of the President after all, but she’s also Anabo – a descendant of Eve.

What they don’t know is that Eryx plans to kidnap Jordan and force President Ellis to pledge his soul. If Eryx’s plot succeeds, the consequences would be catastrophic.

But the Mephisto brothers do know about Jordan’s secret identity. And for one of them, she could be the match that leads to their soul’s salvation.

Now it’s a desperate race against time to save Jordan and prevent Eryx’s haunting eyes from discovering her true identity.

A thrilling story of romance, danger, and intrigue, THE MEPHISTO KISS continues the marvelous mythology that began in THE MEPHISTO COVENANT.
(cover and description from www.goodreads.com)




Initial Reaction
::sobs::  I want my own sexy Son of Hell, too!

Cover Story
I don’t like this cover as much as the first one.  The colors are fabulous, but the model is doing that weird tip over thing and it looks awkward.  Almost like she’s singing “I’m a Little Teapot” or something…..I think it would be gorgeous if she were standing up straight or something.  The title is perfect.

What’s the Story?
Honestly, I was disappointed when I realized that this book would not focus on Jax and Sasha.  I fell in love with their story in the first book and I just wanted more of it.  So I put off this book for a little while and didn’t know what to expect when I started reading it.

Then, this book went and totally blew me away! 

I am now as much in love with Key and Jordan’s story as I am with Jax and Sasha’s.  In fact, this one may have been better. (Except there were no sexy times!  Color me disappointed.  That might make me pervy, but I don’t care.)

This book was as wonderful as the first book and so much more!  Key is a more complex man than Jax in many ways because he is the oldest brother and he has always felt responsible.  This means he is bossy and demanding and much harder to understand.  And Jordan is perfect for him.  The story of their relationship unfolding was nothing short of beautiful.

The plot grabbed me by the end of the first chapter and I could not put the book down.  I seriously considered putting in a movie for my French 3 class on Friday and switching it to a French soundtrack so I could read the book and still feel like they were getting something in class.  I’m not proud of this fact, but I’m just trying to show exactly how attached I felt to this book.  I would seriously sit down right now and start the whole book over again.  I want to go back and re-read my favorite bits and I haven’t done that with a book since I read Twilight.

I also enjoyed getting to know all of the brothers a little bit more.  Even though this story focused primarily on Key and Jordan, I learned more about each of the brothers and about Eryx.  And now I can’t wait to see the next brother’s story.  Trinity Faegen, I will never doubt again!
The story was so breathtaking throughout and then I reached the climax of the novel and thought I would die.  I sobbed as the novel came to a conclusion because it was so heart-wrenching and so beautiful.  Just a warning:  do not fret when you start into the climax of the story.  All will be well, ok?

The Soundtrack

I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz



Redemption by Switchfoot


Love Song by 311 (cover of the original by The Cure)


Such Great Heights by Iron and Wine


Beautiful Love by The Afters


The Final Grade
My grade for this book is an A+, but I almost feel like I am sullying it by trying to give it a grade.  This was a beautiful love story and I had an almost visceral response to it.  My reaction to this book reminded me of my reaction to Twilight the first time I read it.  It touched something deep inside me on an almost subconscious level.  I cannot recommend this series strongly enough.

My review of The Mephisto Covenant:  The Redemption of Ajax is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment