Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen


Book:  The Mephisto Covenant
Author:  Trinity Faegen
Publisher:  Egmont USA
Date:  September 27, 2011
My grade:  A+

Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger—Sasha is Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx’s biggest threat.

A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant—God’s promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he’s finally found the girl he’s been searching for: Sasha.

With the threat of Eryx looming, Jax has to keep Sasha safe and win her over. But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life?

My Review
Holy hot sons of Hell!  The Mephisto Covenant was an incredible read!

Now, I have seen some pretty bad reviews of this book, but I just don’t get it.  I loved every single word of this book.  Yes, it’s true that the whole Edward “I’m so bad for you, but I love you and can’t stay away from you” vibe was going on here, but Sasha and Jax were not like Edward and Bella.  They were different and they were great!  To me, there was more of a Beauty and the Beast feel to the story.

I got pulled into this book within about 4 pages and did not want to put it down.  In fact, even though I love my Nook, I was wishing that I had a Kindle so that the device could read the book to me while I was driving!  I’ve had to put it down in order to do things like work, feed my children, shower and sleep, but I didn’t want to.  I have been able to do nothing but think about this book since I started it.

I cannot wait to read the next one.  I have no idea where this is going to lead and I’m really excited to see what happens next.  I want to see a lot more of Sasha and Jax.  For an evil guy, I really love Jax.

The action was non-stop in this book.  I also loved the way the lost souls were described.  I also felt that the religious overtone of the book was sort of refreshing.  There was a lot of God-talk, but it wasn’t preachy.  It did incorporate a lot of Biblical mythology and that was very interesting to me.

Of course, I was a little shocked at the rather graphic sex scene in the novel, especially next to all the religious stuff!  Readers who are uncomfortable with that should be forewarned!  This is not a Twilight fade-to-black scene!  Oh no!  For this reason, I would definitely recommend this book to older teens.  This is not a book you want sitting on the middle school library shelf.  Plus, I think that it deals with some rather deep topics:  immortality, free will, human selfishness……it runs the gamut.  This is a book that will be better enjoyed by those with a little maturity.

I tried to look at this book with the critical eye that I saw in many reviews, but I keep coming up empty handed.  I couldn’t think of one thing I didn’t like about this book.  It has suspense, romance, bad guys, fighting evil, a house full of hot guys (ok, they are sort of demons, but who cares?  They fight people who are more evil than they are!)  I like the message it sends about our choices.

My grade for this book is an A+.  I feel certain that I will be thinking about this book for weeks to come and as soon as the sequel is announced, I will be adding it immediately to my TBR list.  And possibly stalking the author for an ARC.

Great big thanks to netgalley and to Egmont USA for allowing me to read and review this one.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you, Tammy! I'm printing this one out to keep... :)

    ReplyDelete