Saturday, October 15, 2011

Misfit by Jon Skovron


Book:  Misfit
Author:  Jon Skovron
Publisher:  Amulet Books
Date:  August, 2011
Source:  netgalley.com and Amulet Books
My grade:  B+

Jael has always felt like a freak. She’s never kissed a boy, she never knew her mom, and her dad’s always been superstrict—but that’s probably because her mom was a demon, which makes Jael half demon and most definitely not a normal sophomore girl. On her sixteenth birthday, a mysterious present unlocks her family’s dangerous history and Jael’s untapped potential. What was merely an embarrassing secret before becomes a terrifying reality. Jael must learn to master her demon side in order to take on a vindictive Duke of Hell while also dealing with a twisted priest, best-friend drama, and a spacey blond skater boy who may have hidden depths.

Author Jon Skovron takes on the dark side of human nature with his signature funny, heartfelt prose.


My Review

I liked this book.  I didn’t love it to death, it didn’t change my life and I won’t be running out to read any Misfit fanfiction, but I did like it really well.

This book had an interesting take on demons which I found rather intriguing.  I never thought I’d see a book where demons were not necessarily bad guys, but this book took that stance and made it work.

I liked Jael as a character.  She is strong, yet still a teenaged girl and she didn’t give off that “badass” vibe that so many authors try to give to strong female characters.  I really appreciated that.

The plot was action-packed and even though there was a little romance, it was heavier on the side of action and the conflict between Jael and her father or Jael and the priests.  In fact, I would say that all the relationships in the book were treated with equal importance.  I also liked the flashbacks into her father’s life and her very early life with her mother.  I found that I didn’t really want to put this book down.  I could have but I didn’t want to.

My grade for this book is a B+.  I think it stands out from the crowd a bit in the overpopulated world of supernatural fiction, but it’s not one of those books that totally blew me away.  If he wrote a sequel though, I’d definitely read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment