Tuesday, January 31, 2012





Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is:  Top Ten Books I Think Would Make Great Book Club Picks.

Now, my sister is in a book club and honestly, they read some of the most boring, unappealing books I've ever seen.  So, I decided that I would think about what books I would do with a YA book club if I had to choose all the books.  I think it needs to be a good mix of many genres, so I've chosen contemporary realistic, multi-cultural, LGBT, non-fiction, fantasy, science fiction, humor, historical and classic.  So here's my list.  Let me know what you would choose!





 

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

This book has something for everyone.  It is humorous, multi-cultural, partly autobiographical and just plain fun!  We are actually reading this one next in the Teen Fiction Club that I have at school.











The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

This would be assuming that everyone had not already read it.  This is a must-read for YA.  If everyone had already read it, I would choose another dystopian like Unwind by Neal Shusterman, Delirium by Lauren Oliver or Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky.




 

 Born to Run:  A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

This book would cover sports and non-fiction.  And it managed to accomplish the impossible and make me want to buy some barefoot running shoes and take up running as a hobby.



 

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

This is not only a fabulous story, but it is told from 2 perspectives:  a straight male and a gay male, so it would be a great way to help kids see issues in different ways.








 Beauty Queens  by Libba Bray

This book is funny and full of satire.  It would really be fun to read this one in conjunction with Swift's "A Modest Proposal" and have students compare the two and see how they are alike and different.





 

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

I'm probably cheating by putting this one on the list since it is the only one here that I have not actually read.  But this book is a classic for YA lit and would open up so much discussion about controversial issues.







 City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

The thing I love about this series (besides Jace, of course) is that I think it holds appeal for both boys and girls.  Plus, it has lots of elements of fantasy, not just one.








Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Of course, every good book club needs a classic.  I chose this one not only because I love Jane Austen, but also because there are suddenly so many re-tellings of this story that I thought it would be great to go back to the original.






Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

This one was so much fun and it would be interesting to compare to Jane Austen's version.






Vixen  by Jillian Larkin

I know that I would need an historical novel and this is the only one I've read recently.  Bad reason to choose it, but what are you going to do?  ::shrugs::

    1 comment:

    1. Beauty Queens is a great choice! I am also a big fan of Cassandra Clare. I like her Infernal Devices series a wee bit better than TMI.

      ReplyDelete