Thursday, January 20, 2011

Torment by Lauren Kate

Hell on earth.


That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.
What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies. (description taken from the book website at http://www.fallenbooks.com/)

MY REVIEW

Torment is an excellent name for this book because you will suffer torment when you get to the cliffhanger ending and realize that you have to wait until June to get the next book! If you’ve read The Hunger Games trilogy, you’ll know what I mean when I tell you to prepare yourself for a Catching Fire sort of ending!

But, regardless of my suffering until June, I am so glad that I read this book now! This book was just as good as the first book. The characters were still well-developed and had great personalities and it was wonderful to see Luce stick up for herself and demand to be treated as an equal. Too bad she couldn’t teach Bella that lesson with Edward! I’m not sure how I feel about Shelby. Right now, I don’t trust her so much and I can’t really put my finger on why that is. It was nice to see a little more of Roland and Arriane. Miles is a really nice character and I really like him a lot. I don’t like him as much as Daniel, but I like him. I had a hard time rooting for him, though.  I would definitely be wearing a Team Daniel t-shirt.  Daniel is noticeably absent from this book, but there is so much other stuff going on, that you don’t miss him. Well, not terribly.

I loved finding out about Luce and her past some in this book and it’s nice that the author gave just enough glimpses to set the reader up for the third book. If the blurb for Passion is an indication, it looks like Luce will really explore her past lives in that book, but Ms. Kate gave just enough background information in Torment to really set the stage and make the reader very curious about what sort of missing information there is in Luce’s past. In fact, I’m now very suspect of her origins and I’m dying to find out about where she came from.

This book was a little creepier, in my opinion. There were the Outcasts and the shadows and lots of evenings spent in the woods or in run down areas of town. At times, I wanted to reach into the book and shake Luce and yell at her about the danger she was putting herself into. It was sort of like a Friday the 13th movie, where you know that there’s something waiting in the woods and you don’t understand why the characters can’t see that! It kept me on edge throughout the whole book.

I still like all the angelology in the book and I’ve actually started looking for books to buy on the subject for myself. I hope that more about the history of the angels is revealed as Luce’s past is revealed in the 3rd book.

My grade for this book is also A+. I couldn’t put it down and I can’t wait for the third installment this summer! Thank goodness I’m taking YA lit…..hopefully I can work this book into my reading for that class!

No comments:

Post a Comment