Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life. (From the author's website at:  www.beccafitzpatrick.com )


MY REVIEW

This book has been sitting in my TBR pile for a while and I’ve read nothing but good reviews of it.  My students kept telling me it was great as well.  So why did I wait so long to read it?  I have NO idea!  Now that I’ve read it, I wish I had read it much sooner!

At the risk of sounding like a cheesy book jacket quote, this book was dark, dangerous, mysterious and sexy, just like Patch!  At first, I thought it was going to be Twilight with a fallen angel, even down to the biology classroom.  It was nowhere close to that!

What really set this book apart for me was the real sense of danger that was constantly lurking around Nora.  The author also made almost everyone capable of being a suspect.  I held my breath through most of the book, I think!  In fact, it wasn’t until about three quarters of the way through the book that the reader even gets a glimpse of the truth behind Patch. (Which, coincidentally, is exactly when my toddler decided that it was time for a Candy Land marathon.  I wanted to read, but instead I got to take numerous trips to Candy Castle!)

I loved the mystery part of this book.  I was on the edge of my seat throughout the book trying to figure out exactly what was going on.  And the ending was like a thrill ride!  The last quarter of the book was full of sharp turns, twists and perpendicular drops to rival the best roller coaster.  I could not put it down!

I liked Nora pretty well as a character.  She was shy and uncertain, but she had a fair amount of spunk as well.  It was nice to see her stand up to Patch and listen to her instincts about him rather than just swoon at the first lopsided grin and smoldering look that he gave her.  Her tenacity was also admirable because she wouldn’t back down until she started finding what she wanted and she even stood up to people that she knew were dangerous.

Of course, Patch was a great character, although I didn’t really like him through much of the book.  He really does come across as dangerous and it was hard to trust him.  Of course, that’s exactly how the author wanted me to feel and it’s exactly how I did feel.

Most fans of Twilight, the Mortal Instruments, Beautiful Creatures and other similar novels will enjoy this book.  For younger readers, just be aware that Patch is rather sexual and there is discussion of the sin of lust and the biology class is conveniently discussing human reproduction. There is some violence in the book and it can be a little intense and scary. 

This book is a solid A.  It’s a must-read for teens and adults who love the paranormal!

1 comment:

  1. Hush hush one of my favorite YA, I love Patch, he's so sexy fallen angel

    ReplyDelete