Tuesday, December 21, 2010

“Unearthly” by Cynthia Hand

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart. (From www.goodreads.com)

I procrastinated with this book because frankly, the previous galley from Harper Collins that I had reviewed was such a terrible read that I was almost afraid to jump into another new book.

Boy, did I ever make a mistake! I wish that I had read this book immediately after receiving the e-galley from the publisher! Now I’m just anxious that I will have to wait so long for the next book in the series to be published.

I fell in love with this book. Almost immediately, in fact. By the end of the first chapter, I found it hard to put down and by the time I was halfway through the book, not much of anything was going to pull me away from it!

I admit that I have been reluctant to jump on to the angel bandwagon. I have read the Mortal Instruments series, but the Shadowhunters don’t really seem very “angelic” to me. Now I can’t wait to pull out the 2 angel books waiting in my TBR pile!

I really liked Clara. She is a good, solid female lead character. She’s not silly, but she still feels like a normal teenage girl. I think the premise of the story is good and I enjoyed learning a lot more about angel lore.
Clara’s family is fun. Jeffrey is a great character and I’d like to see more of him in the future. I also like Angela a LOT although I still have questions about her that I’m hoping will be answered in the next book.
Christian Prescott was a nice surprise for me as a character. I really liked him. He’s a nice guy, not the snotty, stuck-up jock popular guy that he could be. Which makes everything more difficult later in the book, of course!

But the real winner as far as characters here is Tucker Avery! Talk about a show stealer! He may be a 17 year old high school boy, but I’m totally in love with him! Seriously! He made me want to pack up and move to Wyoming to find my own rugged cowboy! He is so perfect just because he’s not perfect. It was really refreshing to see the dream date be the average human for a change!

It’s hard to review this book without too many spoilers, but I’ll try to just give a few impressions. This story was so much fun because it really had so many twists and turns. Although there were a few hints here and there that made me wonder about some things, I was always surprised by how things turned out. Not in the “wow, that come out of left field” sort of way but in a very organic, revelatory way. After things happened, I could even see some of the groundwork that had been laid before to make the events believable.

With a carefully crafted story and a cast of fabulous characters, “Unearthly” is a book that you will not want to skip! I give this one a solid A+!

No comments:

Post a Comment