Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Teaser Tuesday and philosophical rambling.....

So, before I post my teaser from the book I'm reading, I have to wax philosophical for a moment.

I received my textbook today for the class that I start next week on Children's literature. I wondered just how a $114 textbook would look! (I must admit that I wept inside as I paid for it on Amazon, thinking of all the "real" books I could buy with that much money!)

So I opened it immediately and being the bibliophile that I am, I had to crack it open and start looking. Of course, I turned to the section on fantasy books for children. The beginning of the chapter had a quote that I just loved:

"We call our individual fantasies dreams, but when we dream as a society, or
as a human race, it becomes the sum total of all our hopes. Fantasy touches
our deepest feelings and in so doing, it speaks to the best and most hopeful
parts of ourselves. it can help us learn the most fundamental skill of all--
how to be human.
(Lloyd Alexander as quoted in Charlotte Huck's Children's Literature
by Barbara Z. Kiefer)

Ok, so now on to the real business of the day.....a teaser!

Teaser Tuesday is a meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. You open up the book you're currently reading to a random page. Choose 2 sentences and share them. They should not contain spoilers!

"Even in my state of acute anxiety, I was astonished at the number of vampire books and vampire posters that Nefley Irving had managed to accumulate. (No Bloodstone Chronicles, though; as I said before, I'm not exactly Stephenie Meyer.)

from p. 263 of The Reformed Vampire Support Group by Cathy Jinks.

Leave a teaser from your current read in the comments!

1 comment: