Thursday, August 12, 2010

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

First of all......DEAR GOD, WILL THERE BE A SEQUEL???

All I can say is "holy cliffhanger, Batman!" I hope she's not going to leave the whole thing where it ended.  I mean, the story sort of wrapped up, but she hinted at some pretty important stuff to come in the future!!

This book was incredible.  I'm so lucky that I actually got to sit down and read for an uninterrupted period of time, otherwise, I think I would have been going crazy! With no kids today, I was able to just throw myself into this witch world that the author created.  And it was amazing!  I loved the little hints and clues that she dropped along the way without giving away too much.  I felt like I had an idea of what was going on but I still never really saw how it would end until I was reading the end. 

This is a very difficult book to review without giving spoilers.  How do I want to say this?  I love the way I was taken by surprise with Tamsin and her life.  Again, the author dropped a clue, but I wasn't sure exactly where it led. I just had a vague idea.

I found that I really liked the characters in this book, with the exception of the evil one, of course!  I like Gabriel from the moment he appears.  Even though I feel a little resentful of Tamsin's family at times, I don't really find a lot to dislike them. I think that I was feeling exactly the way Tamsin felt toward them.  And as the plotline unfolded, I started to understand things about them much better.  It was also very amusing to read about the family gatherings where the witches use their Talents to entertain the kids!

I don't really want to say much more for fear of giving too much away.  I am really happy that I picked this book up.  If you like witch stories and mysteries, you will love this book.

My grade:  A

No comments:

Post a Comment