Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Eternity Cure

Book:  The Eternity Cure
Author:  Julie Kagawa
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen
Date: Available now
Source:  Publisher via Netgalley
My grade:  A+

Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike. (description from Goodreads)

Initial reaction
Why, Julie, why????  ::sobs uncontrollably::

Cover story
I like this cover, although it doesn’t really match the first one, which I also liked.  But it’s a good cover and I would be happy to show it out in public.  I like the title too.  It’s catchy and I think it will pique readers’ interest.  This is also a great cover and title for boys.  It’s not girly at all, so it won’t be off-putting.

What’s the Story?
This novel picks up where The Immortal Rules left off.  It’s been a few months, but Allison is searching for Kanin, her creator, who is being held captive by a pscho-vamp.  Along the way, she runs into her vampire brother, Jackal, who is also the crazy vampire lord that killed a bunch of the humans in the first book.  So that’s where we stand.

Reviewing second books in a trilogy is always so, so hard because I am so afraid of spoilers, but I’ll try to keep this one as spoiler-free as possible.  And this book is going to be hard to review without spoilers, so if the review seems a little lacking, understand that the reason is so that you, the reader, can enjoy your own journey with this book.

Julie Kagawa is a master and now she is truly a master of the vampire novel.  Seriously, I rank these vampire novels right up there with Anne Rice.  Kagawa, like Rice, manages to capture the complexities of the vampiric existence.  The myriad of emotions and the love-hate relationship vampires have with humans and one another.  She also manages to show the many different sides of vampires and she does it without making vampires seem like good guys or bad guys.  They simply ARE.

The Immortal Rules was really about getting to know the humans that inhabit this fictitious world.  Even though Allison became a vampire, she spent most of the book with humans.  In The Eternity Cure, this is the reader’s glimpse into the world of the vampires.  We get to see the good, the bad and the ugly here and come to understand that, just as in the human world, there are really no absolutes.  Even the seemingly “bad” vampires have pasts that have made them who they are.  Just as in any good literature, the reader is left questioning “Who is the monster and who is the man”? (with apologies to Disney for stealing that line!)  But that is what good books should make us do.  We should re-think our paradigms and realize that humans, and vampires, cannot be pigeon-holed into “good” or “bad”.  That is one of the things I enjoyed most about this novel.

I am so glad that I got to spend some more time with Jackal.  He is such an interesting character.  Of course, Zeke shows up again in this novel and I loved seeing his character develop more as well as his relationship with Allison.  There were some surprising characters that reappeared and there were moments that completely broke my heart and left me almost bereft.  Yet, there were also moments that were completely uplifting.  This novel took me through a myriad of emotions and left me breathless by the end.  I cannot wait for the next novel.

The Soundtrack

The Rescue by American Hi-Fi


Flying High by Jem


Honey and the Moon by Joseph Arthur


Stop and Stare by One Republic


Brave by Idina Menzel


Hey World (Don’t Give Up) by Michael Franti


The Final Grade
My final grade for this book is an A+.  Even though parts of it broke my heart, I loved every moment of it and I can’t wait to get the next book and see what sort of awesomeness Julie Kagawa has in store for me!




No comments:

Post a Comment