Thursday, May 17, 2012

Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout


Book:  Obsidian
Author:  Jennifer Armentrout
Publisher:  Entangled Teen
Date:  May 15, 2012
Source:  purchased for my Nook
My grade:  A

Starting over sucks.When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.And then he opened his mouth.Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me.You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is.

MY REVIEW

Initial reaction
Oh my gawd!!!  I never knew that aliens could be hot boys!  ::squeals like a 13 year old at a Justin Bieber concert::

Cover and title
I like the title a lot.  It’s a word I recognize but I have to read the book to find out what it means for the story.  The cover……I love to look at hot boys too, but I’m glad that I had it on my Nook because I don’t think I could read that book with the cover showing in public.  It looks to similar to a bad romance novel.  But I did enjoy looking at that guy…… in private. : )

The plot
Wow!  Just wow!  This is the first Jennifer Armentrout book that I’ve read, but it will not be the last!  This was a very unique concept in a sea of YA paranormal.  Seriously, I never thought about writing books about aliens, but this one really worked.  The plot revealed just enough along the way to keep me reading to find out more.  It was full of action but it was also mysterious and thought-provoking.  I love the way she also worked in some local folklore and Native American stories.  I could not put this book down.  I had to keep going to find out what would happen next.  Of course, then she ended it right when things were heating up really well.  ::shakes fist at Jennifer::

The characters
Yes, Daemon is a total hottie.  But I also liked him as a “person”.  He had a very rough exterior, but it was easy to see that he was very protective and caring, especially with his sister.  Once I knew the whole story, I understood why he acted like an a** most of the time.  I liked Katy a lot too.  She was shy, but she wasn’t a doormat, and that was good.  The other characters were alright.  Dee was fun.  Ash was a little stereotypical “mean girl”, but I guess you have to have one of those in high school, right?  But my goodness, the chemistry between Daemon and Katy!!  ::fans self::  Jennifer, girl, you know how to write some sexual chemistry.  I’m not gonna lie….at a certain point I probably wanted this to become one of those embarrassing bodice ripper romance novels! 

The final grade
My grade for this book is an A.  Honestly, the story was an A+.  However, the editors over at Entangled need to really buckle down.  There were some pretty bad spelling and grammatical errors.  The teacher in me was horrified. (I can’t stand to see the your/you’re mistake and so that one made me cringe!)  Someone was also happy with dash marks.  Obviously, they need to hire me to do some copy editing. : )  But, grammatical errors aside, the book had me burning through the pages (that will be funny after you read this book) and clamoring for more at the end.  Is it August yet?

1 comment:

  1. Completely agree! Daemon is swooony. Good thoughts on the plot and characters. I can't wait to read Obsidian!!

    ReplyDelete