Sunday, May 13, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth


Book:  Divergent
Author:  Veronica Roth
Publisher:  Katherine Tegan Books
Date:  2011
Source:  purchased
My grade:  A++++++++++++++ to infinity and beyond!

In a future Chicago, 16-year-old Beatrice Prior must choose among five predetermined factions to define her identity for the rest of her life, a decision made more difficult when she discovers that she is an anomaly who does not fit into any one group, and that the society she lives in is not perfect after all.

MY REVIEW

Initial reaction
Holy crap!  How long will it take to download Insurgent onto my Nook?  And will someone just kick my butt for not reading this sooner???

Title and Cover
Both are perfect.  The fire and the city on the cover capture the whole feel of the book and the title has such significance.  Plus, no one would EVER think this was a bad romance novel.

The Plot
How does one even start to describe a plot like this?  It was riveting, fast-paced and full of hold-your-breath moments.  I found myself so engaged in the plot that when I had to put it down, I couldn’t stop thinking about it.  I had to keep turning the pages in order to figure out how it would all end.  The world that Veronica Roth created was so unique and so realistic that I felt like I was part of the world myself.  It’s hard to even find words to describe how fabulous this book plot was.  I think you may just have to experience it yourself.

The Characters
Again, Veronica Roth has outdone herself!  This cast of characters is so realistic and so well-described that I felt intimately acquainted with most of them by the end of the book.  And I found myself worrying about what would happen to some while hoping that others would soon meet their demise! And, unfortunately, she was able to allow characters that I loved to meet an untimely end.  I hate it but I also hate it when authors wimp out on that (::clears throat:: SM)  I am so caught up in these characters that I am still thinking about them the day after finishing the book.

The final grade
This book is an A+++.  I’m sure this will be on my top 10 list for this year.  Don’t wait a moment longer if you have not read this book!  I’m downloading the next book as I write this review!

No comments:

Post a Comment