Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink

Book:  A Temptation of Angels
Author:  Michelle Zink
Publisher:  Dial Books for Young Readers
Date:  March 20, 2012
Source:  Publisher via Netgalley
My grade:  A

Even angels make mistakes in this page-turning epic romance...

When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel.

Michelle Zink masterfully weaves historical fantasy with paranormal romance to create a gripping tale of love and betrayal.

My Review

I’m going to admit that Prophecy of the Sisters if one of those books that’s been sitting on my TBR list for a long time.  It’s also one of those books that I just never seem to pick up.  I don’t know why, but it is.  After reading this book from Michelle Zink, however, I think it just moved WAY up on my list!

This book was very engaging.  It is paranormal but takes place in 19th century London.  So that means that are hot guys with cool powers and great accents!  Already good, right?  But, the story starts in the middle of the action, with Helen being hidden away by her mother in a secret room and being told to escape.  As she realizes her home is burning to the ground around her, she flees into the streets of London in the middle of the night and shows up at the home of 2 mysterious brothers using a name and address that her mother shoved into her hand.  What a way to start a book!

This was an interesting twist on angel stuff.  Lately, it seems most of the books about angels have focused on fallen angels and watchers and the myth of the Nephilim.  This book is different.  There are 20 Keepers in the world who are descended from the angels and it is their job to protect the world.  One of them holds a key that will open up the past, present and future.  But, the Keepers are being murdered and, you guessed it, only Helen and the 2 Channing brothers are left!

I really felt like I could understand Helen and her emotions in this book.  I felt that they author did a great job with all of the characters, really.  I grew to love and care for all of them, even Raum!  The only thing that didn’t sit well with me was the almost insta-love between two of the characters.  But I could sort of see that happening given the horrific circumstances and also understanding the historical period, so I let that one go and just went with the story.  I felt ok about that by the end.

I don’t know if Michelle Zink plans to make this a series, but I liked the way it ended.  It could easily stand on its own, but there is also room for her to write more if she chooses.  I hope she chooses!

My grade for this book is an A.  It was an action-packed story that grabbed me from the beginning and had very believable characters that I could empathize with.  And hot boys with accents who are fighting the powers of hell, which is always a good think in my book!

Thank you to Dial Books and Netgalley for allowing me to read and review this book.  I received no compensation for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment