Thursday, November 8, 2012

Easy by Tammara Webber



Book:  Easy
Author:  Tammara Webber
Publisher:  Penguin Group
Date:  May 25, 2012
Source:  Purchased
My grade:  A+

A girl who believes trust can be misplaced, promises are made to be broken, and loyalty is an illusion. A boy who believes truth is relative, lies can mask unbearable pain, and guilt is eternal. Will what they find in each other validate their conclusions, or disprove them all?

When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a breakup two months into sophomore year. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she's single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Leaving a party alone, Jacqueline is assaulted by her ex's frat brother. Rescued by a stranger who seems to be in the right place at the right time, she wants nothing more than to forget the attack and that night--but her savior, Lucas, sits on the back row of her econ class, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. Her friends nominate him to be the perfect rebound.

When her attacker turns stalker, Jacqueline has a choice: crumple in defeat or learn to fight back. Lucas remains protective, but he's hiding secrets of his own. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.


Initial reaction
NOW, I see what all the fuss is about.  I will never judge a book by its cover again.

Cover Story
I hate the title and cover for this book.  For reals.  Hate them.  I would never want to be seen out in public reading this book.  Which is too bad, because after reading it, I think everyone should read it.  I would just have to put another book jacket on it.  I hate covers that show people about to kiss.  Why do publishers do that?  It’s as bad as the shirtless guys in kilts on the front of romance novels.  I think I could deal with the title if there wasn’t this picture on front.  With that picture, it makes the book seem like it’s about some skanky ho who is……easy.

What’s the Story?

I had never planned to read this book.  Then, I started seeing show up on my goodreads feed all the time.  It was being reviewed by lots of blogs and getting rave reviews.  So, I bought it.  Then, it just sat there in my Nook for at least a few weeks.  Finally, I decided I would read it because it seemed like a good follow up to my absolute love of Meant to Be.

I am such an idiot for not reading this sooner.

This book is amazing, people!  There is a reason it has over 25,000 reviews on goodreads and a cumulative review score of 4.34.  Yes, it is that good.  This book is not the skanky sex-fest I imagined it to be after looking at that cover.  No, this book has SUBSTANCE!  This book deals with some super serious issues.  This book has the balls to strip open those issues and face them head-on.  This book deals with rape, friendship, relationships, teacher/student relations, psychological damage, sexism, and the Greek system.  Yes, it really does cover that much ground and it does it magnificently.

I think this book was not originally a Penguin book, but I can see why Penguin picked this one up!  Once I started reading, I could not put it down.  I about had a panic attack yesterday when I got to school and realized that my Nook had a low battery.  I read until I just couldn’t read any longer.  (Here I should put a giant thank you to my student teacher who is doing all the work which is what allowed me to read during class.  Joy, you’re awesome!)

If you are uncomfortable with discussion of rape or scenes of almost rape are triggers for you, you need to stay away from this one.  There is not graphic detail of the attack, but there’s enough that it is definitely disturbing.  However, if you want to see a book readily handle some serious issues while giving you a fabulous story and characters that you will feel deeply about, then you need to go pick this book up RIGHT NOW!!!

This book is part of a new “genre” if you will of new adult.  Basically, that means that it takes place in college.  I really liked this genre.  It has fewer restrictions and I would be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the smexy times.  : )  It was hot, but it wasn’t 50 Shades of Graphic, so it shouldn’t really be very offensive. 

I seriously cannot explain just how engaging and incredible this book is.  You will have to experience it for yourself.

Soundtrack

23 by Jimmy Eats World


The Only Exception by Paramore



The Last Night by Skillet


Cry by James Blunt


Goodbye to You by Michelle Branch

This song seems like it was written just for Jacqueline!


Only You by Sinead O’Connor


Don’t like my soundtrack?  Check out the one that Tammara Webber has posted on her website!  You can find it here.

The Final Grade

My final grade for this book is an A+.  This book had everything--deep issues, steamy sexual tension and super hot bad boy.  Do yourself a favor and go buy this book today.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Review! I really enjoyed this book too! And I never thought about the book cover much (probably because I read it on my kindle but your cover comments were entertaining.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'm into mature YA/ adult fiction right now (not really into calling it New Adult haha)This is up next on my e-reader:D

    ReplyDelete