Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday



So, I've decided that I really like this wonderful meme, Top Ten Tuesday, started by the wonderful folks over at The Broke and the Bookish.  Each week there is a new Top Ten list of books.  Hooray!

This week's list.......

TOP TEN BOOKS I'D RECOMMEND AS GOOD BEACH READS 

So, here is the deal.  I hate the beach.  Really, I do.  I'm very fair-skinned, so all I do is burn.  So, I prefer to spend the day sitting under an umbrella with a book.  To me, the best books for the beach are light-hearted stories that don't require me to focus quite as much, since I'm constantly interrupted by my kids, the sand, the sunscreen, etc.  So my books are all books that will make you feel pretty good in the end and also have at least a dash of romance in them, preferably more.

Twilight  by Stephenie Meyer
This book is still one of my favorites.  It's a fast read and it's all about first love.  It's just what you need to be reading for a relaxing afternoon at the beach.

 
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Nothing is better than this light-hearted comedy of manners from the master herself. 



Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Of course one of the books should take place at the beach, right?  This one is fun and fast-paced and all the water even made me think about the beach.


Ditched:  A Love Story by Robin Mellom
Fun, fun, fun!!!  This book is so much fun and leaves you feeling great at the end!



Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
I'm starting to think this book just belongs on every list!  This one is the quintessential summer road trip novel.


The Espressologist by Kristina Springer
This book is about coffee, which is not a beach thing, but it's also about matchmaking and finding love, which so IS a summer/beach thing.  Very light and fluffy, like the froth on your cappuccino.


Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg
A fun modernization of the Jane Austen classic, this book will have you smiling and laughing.  This would be great to read right after the original, so go ahead and put on that extra sunscreen!


Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
This book is so, so lovely!  Who doesn't want to dream of Paris in the summertime?  And add some first love to that?  Oui, s'il vous plaĆ®t!


My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
This is my new "recommend to random strangers" book.  I loved this book.  It's not exactly light and fluffy, but the ending will warm your heart and the relationship between the 2 main characters is so, so sweet.

Austenland by Shannon Hale
Yes, you might be noticing a Jane Austen theme here.  I love this novel.  What a great way to spend a day at the beach by reading about a vacation in Regency England!


City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
I know this makes 11 instead of 10, but I just love this book and I think it would make a great beach read.  It may also be the only place where the cover is not embarrassing.  Of course, you'd better put on extra sunscreen since Jace is SO HAWT!!!!  ::fans self::

So these are my recommendations for good reads at the beach.  Do you have any recs for me?  Hurry, because I'm going next week!

5 comments:

  1. Quite a few lists have Of Poseidon, so I've decided it's time to give it a read. Great list and helpful descriptions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson is fantastic! It is Jane Austinish and perfect for the beach:) Be sure to take a fan, you may swoon reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great picks! I want to read of poseidon!
    My TTT; http://booknookgirl.blogspot.com/2012/06/top-ten-tuesday-beach-reads.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome list - loved City of Bones and quite a few of the others are books I want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to read Anna and the French Kiss. Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete