Monday, December 12, 2011

Passion by Lauren Kate

Book:  Passion
Author:  Lauren Kate
Publisher:  Random House
Date:  June 14, 2011
My grade:  A-

Luce would die for Daniel.


And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way. . . .


Luce is certain that something—or someone—in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.


Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history.


Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever.
Sweeping across centuries, PASSION is the third novel in the unforgettably epic FALLEN series.

My Review

I don’t really know what to say about this book. I absolutely loved the story once I was finished with the book. However, the book read at a very slow pace. Or rather, I had to read it at a very slow pace. I think that what has made people give this book some poor reviews is that this is a book that requires a lot of thinking and processing as you read.

I think that going back to see Luce and Daniel in all their past lives was amazing. It was also very necessary to understand where they are now. Just like Luce, the reader is sort of blindly jumping through time and trying desperately to make sense of all the situations and figure a way out of them. Unlike Luce, the reader has the luxury of putting the book down and taking a rest from all the thinking!

I’m having a hard time reviewing without spoilers, so let me just say that Lauren Kate has really created some beautiful descriptions and there were times when Daniel’s anguish literally broke my heart! She also throws in some surprises along the way that were fun.

The history of each life was very well done. It’s obvious that she did some research to make everything authentic and as a reader, I really appreciated that.

The cover is something that I just have to mention.  I know, I know....don't judge a book by it's cover and yadda, yadda, yadda.  But just look at that cover!  This series has got some of the best covers out there, bar none!  I absolutely love them!  They are beautiful, but dark and passionate!  Whoever does these covers......keep doing what you are doing!

My grade for this book is probably A-. In the end, I really did love this book. The minus is just because of the sort of slow nature of the book. The story is fantastic and the book is a beautiful way to set up the last book in the series, Rapture. So Lauren Kate, bring it on! I’m ready for whatever surprises you are going to throw my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment