Monday, June 20, 2011

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Book:  The Iron Daughter
Author:  Julie Kagawa
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen
Year:  2010
My grade:  B

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

My Review

I’m not sure how I feel about this series.  Well, that’s not right.  I like it a lot, but I don’t love it.  I guess I had heard so much about it that I thought it was going to just bowl me over.  There is one thing that makes me want to keep reading.

Robin Goodfellow.

Yes, I would have to declare myself a member of Team Puck!  I was prepared to love Prince Ash after all the reviews I’ve seen talking about how wonderful he is.  I suppose he’s good looking (at least according to his description) but he’s just another brooding, emo bad boy.  I’m kind of tired of those.

Also, I don’t like Meghan very much.  She is too whiny. And she overreacts to everything.  I’ve had enough of whiney after Bella Swan.  Step up to the plate, girl!  Use your powers and stop being a damsel in distress!!!!

I definitely plan on reading “The Iron Queen”.  I still love the way Julie Kagawa has given a twist to the world of faerie.  I can’t wait to see what happens to the Iron Court.  Also, these books are very fast reads.  They are action-packed and fast-paced, so I can at least get through Meghan’s whining and Ash’s brooding pretty quickly.  Of course, Puck never disappoints!  In this second book, he is still charming and full of mayhem and mischief.  I’m very curious about how he will deal with the choice Meghan made at the end of the book. (which I won’t give away, of course.  No spoilers!)

Grim is still a main player in this book and I’m still loving him.  He may be the best character in the book.  Who would have thought that a cat would steal the show!  There is also another character that I ended up loving who was a total surprise in this book.  That’s all I’m going to say about that.

I think that teens will like this series.  It reads quickly, has an interesting plot and many teenage girls will love the brooding prince of the Unseelie Court.  Of course, I hope that some of them will also love dear Robin Goodfellow.  Again, if you haven't read a lot of faerie books, this is probably not the book to start with.  Or else keep Wikipedia open while you read!  Fans of Holly Black and Melissa Marr will like this series.  I think it is actually superior to both of those authors.

I won’t get to read “The Iron Queen” until August when my YA lit class is finished, but I am anxiously awaiting to next part of the story.   And it’s ok if Meghan doesn’t want Puck.  She can just send him to me.

On a note that has nothing to do with the actual story, I have to say that at least this cover was better.  Yes, this is nitpicky.  

I give this book a B.  I liked it, but it lost some points for brooding and whining overloads!

No comments:

Post a Comment