Monday, May 9, 2011

Die for Me by Amy Plum


Die for Me
Amy Plum
Harper Teen
Young Adult Paranormal
Grade:  A+

My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.
Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.
Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.
Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a Whaterrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.
While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love?  (description from goodreads.com)

My Review
Wow!  Just, wow!  I hate to sound like a 13 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert, but this book definitely brought out my fangirl!  I LOVED it!  So now, I just need to figure out how to explain what is great about it without reliving my adolescence.

First, I know that there will be comparisons to Twilight.  And the similarities are there.  But I think that this novel does the whole supernatural romance better.  Or at least differently.  What I like about his novel is that the female protagonist is stronger and more believable than Bella ever was.

Kate is a fabulous lead character.  She is going through a really rough time dealing with the death of her parents and I think that all of her reactions with Vincent and discovering what he is are spot on.  She is so real.  She is hesitant, she questions whether or not she can accept what is going on and perhaps most importantly, she is SCARED!  After all, who wouldn’t be a little scared of dating a supernatural creature?

Vincent Delacroix was totally swoon worthy.  He was suave, well-mannered and totally hot!  He would make these romantic comments or gestures that make every girl’s heart flutter.  By the end of the novel, I was totally in love with him.  In fact, he ranks up there with Edward Cullen and Jace Wayland in my book.

Now that I’m done gushing about Vincent, let me gush about the story.  The story was FABULOUS!  It was a perfect balance of romance, fun, mystery and action.  There were parts where I was on the edge of my seat and parts where I wanted to cry with the characters.  What I did not want to do is put the book down.  Ever.  When I was reading it, I was totally immersed in the world and when I had to put it down, I could not get it out of my head.  I loved all the action scenes, especially the sword-fighting.

I also loved the author’s take on the zombie theme.  I was concerned about a “zombie love story” after the last book I read, but this author really nailed it.  In fact, after I write this review, my next stop is Wikipedia to see if any of her mythology came from real mythology or if she created the whole thing.

The first thing that I did when I finished this book was run to goodreads and see if there was a sequel.  Luckily for me, there is a sequel!  I have to say that this book actually wrapped up quite nicely.  There were no horrid cliffhangers to contend with, but I know that Kate and Vincent’s story is not finished and I am not quite ready to let it go.  Much like in Twilight, I am curious to see how the author will deal with the whole human/supernatural relationship and how she will solve the problems.  As long as there are no half-vampire mutant babies, I think I’ll be happy. : )

My grade for this book is definitely an A+.  This is a book that paranormal readers will not want to miss!
Thanks to HarperTeen and netgalley for the review copy.

1 comment:

  1. great riview..i cant wait to reading this books..
    thanks

    ReplyDelete